Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Girls from Calgary

Chinook goes to Calgary


Chinook is a warm wind that is very welcome in Canada during the winter months of January and February. Tonya Schmolke relayed this information when telling me the name she and her girls had chosen for their new Keeshond puppy.

We had a wonderful time meeting Tonya and two of her daughters when they visited us last weekend. Ryan had worried about how we would keep them entertained, but Tonya assured me that between the puppies and the movies it was like Disneyland.

Actually, while Tonya and I were immersed in dog talk, pedigrees and all things Keeshond, I peeked into the family room to see the girls on the sofa with a big bowl of popcorn watching "The Princess Bride", an old favorite around here but new to them.

Tonya is an impressive Keeshond fancier with a excellent knowledge of the breed, (she owns every Keeshond book), and an understanding of pedigrees that some breeders would envy. She tracked me down by studying their lovely dog, Simba's pedigree. This led her to Janice Graves who referred her to Glady Gates, the breeder of Ch. Seawind's Chinook, who was in Simba's pedigree. Chinook was a beautiful Candian Champion Keeshond who sired many lovely dogs and Simba very much resembled him. Ryan and I were sad to see them go as we had so much fun with them. Ryan commented the next day that it was too bad they lived so far away.

They all had a good trip home and even met someone in the airport that also had a Keeshond, it turns out that it was a relative! The lady had a dog sired by Ch. Skyline Game Boy, the son of our puppies father - in other words the puppy's uncle! Amazing, a small world indeed. Here are some pictures of the girls at home with Chinook in a public garden in Calgary. Doesn't Chinook look right at home!



All items including pictures and text on this blog are copyright (c) and are the sole property of Deborah Lynch, pictures and text may not be copied or reproduced in any format.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm Chinook's Aunty from Saskatoon! Great work on the blog! We can't wait to meet our new little dog nephew Chinook!

aileen said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Betty

http://dogfurniture.info